Thursday, May 19, 2016

Dina's Story Poem 8

Cover Up


Face Mask,
full bodysuit,
our armor.
As long as it's
MAC and Adidas.
Otherwise,
it's the world's weapon,
against us.
We have to,
conform to,
something perfect,
that isn't us.
It's some over polished,
over thought,
over planned,
overdone,
version of sort of us,
that doesn't feel anything like us.
Life like,
on a different planet.
Because around others we're all aliens.

   I wrote this poem based off an idea from another one of my poems. I wanted to see how I could portray the same topic in multiple ways. However, I wanted to keep the message the same. My message is that you shouldn't have to be what we're not. However, most people end up being what they aren't. I approach this topic in a unique way. I describe the way that we protect ourselves. In other words, we put on armor, shields. I don't literally talk about the topic. i also describe in my poem, that you have to have the "right" shield. A shield in this case, is your clothes or your makeup. It has to be the right brand, the right style, for you to fit in.
Because I did not literally talk about my topic and message, I ended up using a lot of figurative language to prove my point.I use a hyperbole when I say, "Because around others we're all aliens". This is both a hyperbole and a metaphor. It is a hyperbole because it is an exaggeration. It is a metaphor because we really aren't aliens. However, we can at times seem foreign to ourselves. For example, sometimes I think about what i just said to someone and think, did I really just say that to someone? I didn't think i would ever do that. I also use alliteration to give the poem a rhythm. Really, this whole poem is a metaphor because it's not really about a face mask and bodysuit, it's about how you are around others.

No comments:

Post a Comment