Thursday, May 19, 2016

Dina's story Poem 9

Tests


A hush falls over the room,
the words, "You may begin", 
are heard.
A look around and nothing is seen,
it really does look quite serene.

Close your eyes,
what do you see? 
It could be a meadow, an ocean,
or anything really.

But open your eyes,
and still all you see,
is identical carbon copies,
pencil to paper.

"You have two minutes"

Open your eyes again.
What do you see now?
A beehive full of buzzing  bumblebees?
'Cause that's what I see.
But all that subsides and as,
the curses are collected the next set unfolds.


   This poem was inspired by my thoughts. I was thinking about how people describe tests as these horrible things. I wanted to explain what tests are really like for me. I also used a unique point of view. At first, I wanted to write this poem from my point of view while i am taking a test. Then I wanted to use a teacher's point of view while they are giving a text. In the end I decided to use the point of view of a narrator. Even when I use the pronoun, "I", I am speaking as the narrator. Usually, tests are associated with anxiety and panic. I stepped away from that view point to show my idea in a unique way. I described how a test would look to an outsider. At first, the mood of my poem is calm and serene. Then , the mood became more cliche for a test. More nervous and panicky. the end of a poem is foreshadowing to what happens after a test. The mood is mysterious.
    In this poem, I use many metaphors. However, I also use a hyperbole and alliteration. I use a hyperbole when i say, 'the curses are collected". This is an exaggeration, tests are not really as bad as curses. One metaphor I use is, "A beehive full of buzzing bumblebees". This metaphor is meant to explain how students act when they are nervous, by comparing them to bees.  I use alliteration in the sentence as well, by repeating the "B" sound in buzzing, beehive and bumblebees.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this poem greatly, because, well....it's true. I'm sure that's how most tests go. Great job capturing the mood as well! :D

    ReplyDelete